Friday, November 30, 2007

Coding for Vbulletin Has Lost its Appeal

Over the past year, I have basically quit coding any modifications for Vbulletin.

In part, it's because of the nightmare that the Vbulletin.org forums have become. Once Xenon and Erwin left as administrators, the place went downhill fast.

In part, it's because I'm having more fun coding for Xaraya. The Xaraya frameworks make creating modules and modifying the code incredibly easy and straightforward. The only downside to Xaraya is its horrendous administrative user interface.

I should be recoding the quiz system for Vbulletin.

I should be refining and improving the custom userpage modification to make it use dynamic data.

But, there's just no joy in it anymore. The community of coders is basically gone and has been replaced by a bunch of new faces. And, I think I would almost rather code a new forum system from scratch than continue on with Vbulletin.

I owe a lot to Vbulletin. I learned about PHP and MySQL from tweaking it over the years. It helped me change my career and get into web development professionally. It offered a wonderful coding community where I made many friends. It's just a shame that Jelsoft mismanaged the whole modification community so badly. They lost an army of talented coders who gave their customers a myriad of add-ons for free. For a while, I hoped that Jelsoft would become more professional in their management of their forums, but I've given up.

It's time to move on and find another coding obsession.

No comments: